Topic 3: The Problems of Nuclear Spent Fuel – Overview
Nuclear Spent Fuel
What will you learn in Topic 3?
- What happens to the fuel inside a reactor.
- How simple UO2 is transformed into hundreds of different isotopes.
- How different actinides and fission products are produced.
- What happens to the fuel outside a reactor as the isotopes decay.
- What happens over the really long term.
- The proliferation risks of spent fuel.
- The risks of spent fuel to public health.
- The security risks of spent fuel.
- Policy responses to non-proliferation risks.
- Recent multilateral efforts to control the risks associated with spent fuel.
- And more!
Roadmap to Topic 3
Review of Basic Concepts:
The Chain Reaction
Chapter 1, Part I Vocabulary
Test Your Knowledge
How Isotopes are Made Inside the Reactor
Chapter 1 Part I Quizzes