Topic 3: The Problems of Spent Nuclear Fuel – Step 27
- Start a Google Hangout!
- Divide your teammates into “affirmative” (pro) pairs and “negative” (con) pairs. Try to make your pairs cross-cultural (US and Russian).
- Conduct an impromptu debate, with your mentor as the moderator.
- Choose or randomly assign one of the following resolutions to a group of 4 (2 affirmative and 2 negative).
- After assigning the resolution give each debate team 5 minutes to prepare.
- Begin the debate! See the debate format below.
- Spent nuclear fuel is a problem needing an international solution.
- Countries should continue to reprocess their spent fuel.
- Countries should protect their sovereignty and work out their own solution, rather than partner with other countries.
- Limits should be placed on how much separated Pu can be produced.
- Reprocessing is more efficient than geological repository or deep borehole disposal.
Two-on-Two Format (American Parliamentary Debate Format)
- AC= Affirmative Constructive
- AR = Affirmative Rebuttal
- NC = Negative Constructive
- NR = Negative Rebuttal